June 1, 2016

Connecticut Short Sale Law

Do I still owe the bank after a short sale?

Maybe. When you sell your home for less than the amount you owe against it, something needs to be done about the balance left over.  This is called the deficiency balance.  The bank can do one of three things:

  • choose to forgive this balance, known as a waiver of deficiency.
  • they can ask you to pay it back by carrying a unsecured note.
  • they can pursue a judgement or collection on the remaining balance.

Some states like California have passed laws that require lenders to waive the deficiency if they agree to accept a short sale. Connecticut does not currently have such a law so you will need to negotiate the waiver of deficiency

Do most banks waive the balance after a short sale?

Generally, most 1st position lien holders will waive the remaining balance on a short sale.  2nd liens get a much smaller portion of the funds in a short sale and as a result will generally want to make up the difference in some way.  They may ask for you to contribute funds at closing, send your account to collections, or sue you in court to get a judgement against you.
There are federal short sale programs like HAFA, that require all participating lenders to waive the balance. There are other programs like the Chase Short Sale Outreach and the Bank of America Cooperative Short Sale Program that also have the deficiency waiver built in.  If you are not participating in these programs, it is important that your agent negotiate this release and have it built into the short sale approval letter

Do I have to hire a real estate agent to do a short sale?

There is no state law that requires you to hire a licensed agent to sell your house in a short sale.  The bank however may require that you list the home for sale with a local real estate professional to ensure that you are doing everything possible to get fair market value for the property.  They can’t force you to list your home with an agent, but they can refuse to do a short sale if you don’t.

Do I have to show the bank my financial information?

Generally the bank will want to see that you do not have the capacity to continue to make your loan payments until it is paid off as agreed when you borrowed the money.  Because of this, they will need to see that there is a reason for you to sell your home.  If you are claiming that you can no longer afford to make your payments, they will require proof of that.  This is done by having you supply tax returns, bank statements, and recent paystubs and a short sale hardship letter.  There are some short sale programs that require a limited amount of documentation which would eliminate the need to supply financial documentation.

Do I have to pay for someone to negotiate my short sale?

No.  You don’t have to pay to sell your home on a short sale.  The commissions paid to real estate agents come out of the banks proceeds. Some states  allow for short sale negotiators to collect a special fee for negotiating a short sale that will be separate from a real estate commission. It is beneficial but not necessary to hire a specialist to handle your short sale.  They can often be paid by the buyer, bank, agent or the seller.

Judicial or Non-Judicial Foreclosure State?

In Connecticut, the lenders go to court in what is known as a judicial foreclosure proceeding. Connecticut has two (2) versions of judicial foreclosure one is known as strict foreclosure and the other is known as foreclosure by sale where the court must issue a final judgment of foreclosure. In the foreclosure by sale the property is sold as part of a publicly noticed sale. A complaint is filed in court along with what is known a lis pendens. A lis pendens is a recorded document that provides public notice that the property is being foreclosed upon. A strict foreclosure is a summary proceeding that usually involves a property with little or no equity. Basically all parties in interest to the mortgage are given a set timetable to make full payment or redeem at the conclusion of which title to the property will pass directly to the lender without a sale if the conditions for redemption are not met.

Does Seller Owe Deficiency Amount After Foreclosure or Short Sale?

Yes, a deficiency judgment may be obtained when a property in foreclosure is sold at a public sale for less than the loan amount that the underlying mortgage secures. This means that the borrower still owes the lender for the difference between what the property sold for at auction and the amount of the original loan. Deficiency is governed under §49-14 General Statutes of Connecticut. An appraisal process and hearing must be held on any application for a deficiency judgment.

For a short sale, the deficiency can be waived if agreed in writing on the short sale approval letter.

State Licensing Laws for Foreclosure and Negotiating Short Sales

  • Section 49-1. When foreclosure a bar to further action on debt
    Law which regulates any further action on a debt that is already being foreclosed on.
  • Section 49-14. Deficiency judgment
    Law which regulates the time when a judgment may be filed when seeking monetary compensation after the redemption period.
  • Section 49-15. Opening of judgments of strict foreclosure
    Law which regulates the right to of the court to modify an judgment after it has been filed.
  • Section 49-16. Foreclosure certificate. Penalty
    Law which regulates when a foreclosure becomes final after the redemption period.
  • Section 49-27. Disposal of proceeds of sale
    Law which regulates where and how the proceeds of an auction shall be distributed.
  • Section 49-28. When proceeds of sale will not pay in full
    Law which regulates that a judgment may be filed for the remainder of the monies owed when the proceeds of a sale are not sufficient.
  • Section 49-31f. Application for protection from foreclosure action
    Qualifications. Court determination of eligibility. Stay of foreclosure action.
    Law which regulates the court to protect a homeowner from foreclosure for a period of time.
  • Connecticut State Statutes

Speak Your Mind


Skip to toolbar